By: Gail Armatys
Top 10 Road Trip Essentials Countdown is a list of must-have and must-dos for the road trip of life. Before you continue to do life all willy-nilly without a plan or thought of God’s purposes for your life, take time to pack the essentials.
Tops 10 Road Trip Essentials Countdown
10. Map. There’s Mapquest, Googlemaps, and auto navigation. No doubt you can get to your destination! But what about navigating your way through life? Before you walk out the door have you spent time reading the road map God provides? Do you have a bible you are committed to reading each day to guide you along your way?
9. Travel Apps. Travel Apps inform you of weather, restaurants, events, traffic…you name it. Find some apps for your life that offer encouragement, scripture, devotion, and inspiration. Google ‘apps for Christians’ and you’ll be surprised at all the great options you have to help you travel your path.
8. A Road-Worthy Play List. Have you ever gone on a road trip without music? Not possible. Whether it’s the radio, your iPod play list, or your own sweet voice be sure to add joy to your life travels by listening to music full of hope…and a great beat!
“Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord.” Eph. 5:19b
Check out http://www.rhapsody.com/blog/post/christian-road-trippin for some possible Christian road trip songs!
7. Snacks & Food. You gotta have snacks for the road trip! You know I’m going to say this so here it goes…healthy snacks are best…you know it’s true! Likewise, as you live life, honor your body as ‘the temple of the Holy Spirit’ (1 Cor. 6:19). Eat well, enjoy the goodness and taste of fresh, unpackaged foods.
For an added bonus, check out Angela Mager’s Happy, Healthy, and Hormonal website at http://www.angelamager.com and subscribe to her newsletter!
6. Toiletries & Essentials. Tissues, paper towels, Clorox wipes, sunscreen, sun glasses, bandages (bummer), bug spray, and the like. All necessities on a road trip but they only take care of you physically. What about caring for what’s inside? Add prayer to your preparedness kit and reach for it often. Your mood will be lighter and your Spirit will shine…maybe shine so bright those around you will need to grab their own sun glasses!
5. Comfy Clothing, Pillows, and Blankets. Comfort on a road trip is key. Be sure to pack loose clothing, pillow for napping, and a blanket in case your car mates like to think they are in the Antarctica. On your road trip called ‘life’ there is something else you should wear…
…clothe yourself with the Lord Jesus Christ.
Are you comfortable clothed in your Christian skin? Are you able to be yourself when those around you hold different values? Are you prayed up and ready to respond in love? Any constraining extra baggage you need to leave behind?
4. Camera. Taking photos of various sights and experiences captures memories. The photos can’t fully replicate the moment but they do offer sweet remembrances of good times. Scripture tells us to remember, too. Remember our Creator, His wonders, the poor, and our dear friends in Christ. Remember these things as you go and take note of the collage God is creating.
3. Power Converter. With all the gadgets we have today, we need to stay plugged into the car battery to keep things running. You and I need to stay plugged in as well; to our Church community, small group, church, and service opportunities in order to learn, grow in faith, be blessed and be a blessing.
2. Auto Preparedness. The need to make sure your car is road trip ready is critical. Are you tuned-up, filled-up, and road trip ready?
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.
Be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you
to give the reason for the hope that you have.
1. Best Buddy. Time spent on a road trip with friends and family is one special adventure. Who will you take with you when you go? Remember this on your road trip of life…there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Prov. 18:24) His name is Jesus.
Now you’re ready! Enjoy the adventure! Enjoy the road trip of life!
Thank you, Jesus, for being my companion on the road trip of my life. Help me do my part in preparing well each day. Guide me as I travel to the destination you have in mind just for me. In your precious name I pray, Amen.
- Answer the questions in the content above.
- Notice anything missing in your life from the list of essentials?
- Write down what’s missing and intentionally add this to your life.
Listen to Your HeartSong below.
*adventure.howstuffworks.com for original road trip list.